2013 NY FarmNet Outcomes at a Glance
NY FarmNet provides free, confidential consulting to farm families undergoing major personal and business changes. Although our primary mode of reaching farm families is through individual consultant visits, we also train others who work with farmers. We provided training on topics such as business analysis, crisis management, effective communication, etc. Below is a list of our program outcomes during the recent year:
- Total requests to the office via our 800 help line and individual contacts remained at over 6,000 requests during the last program year
- NY FarmNet worked with 1,861 individuals on farm cases.
- New farm cases, first time callers to FarmNet, totaled 641.
- Over 90 percent of farm families working with NY FarmNet improved profitability or expanded their farm business.
- Farm families transferred 73 farm businesses to the next generation with our assistance.
- NY FarmNet reached over 100 farmers who would like to transfer their farms, through a meeting with national experts at the NYS Fairgrounds.
- New farm businesses produced an additional $7.5 million annually in farm product sales.
- NY FarmNet consultants assisted farmers in completing over 127 business plans to help farm businesses expand.
- NY FarmNet is collaborating with American Farmland Trust to reach an increased number of farmers in the Hudson Valley who would like to see their land remain in agriculture. Our goal is to increase farm transfers by 25 percent through this collaboration.